Dedicated to the Fighting for Your Rights
As a founding lawyer of The Hammer Law Firm, LLC, Mark A. Hammer has built a practice that focuses exclusively on criminal defense and the client. Additionally, he draws from extensive experience and insight gained as a former prosecutor to handle each case as effectively and intelligently as possible. As a result of his talent, experience, and commitment to making a real difference in the lives of clients and their loved ones, Mark has been successful in hundreds of criminal trials at both the state and federal level.
Mark earned his B.S. and law degree from the University of Iowa, Iowa City before spending over 13 years as an assistant prosecuting attorney in Washington and Minnesota. This experience enabled Mark to effectively gauge the other side’s actions and intentions when representing defendants and provided him with insight he leverages in each case our firm handles.
A committed member of the community, Mark has served as a Lead Panel Attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri’s Criminal Justice Act Program, has dedicated time to pro bono representation, and has volunteered for the ALS Association. He has also taught legal classes and seminars on trial advocacy and trial practice as several schools of higher education.
Mark’s extensive experience and genuine demeanor make clients feel confident in choosing The Hammer Law Firm, LLC to help them through difficult times. Be confident in choosing us. Our firm is located in St. Louis, Missouri, and serves clients throughout the metropolitan area and statewide throughout Missouri. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. This disclosure is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Criminal Defense Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Southern District Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Adjunct Professor of Law: Criminal Trial Practice, Saint Louis University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Criminal Trial Advocacy, William Mitchell College of Law
- Faculty Member, National Prosecution Advocacy Center, University of South Carolina, Advanced Trial Advocacy
“Lead Panel Attorney” for the Eastern District of the Missouri’s Criminal Justice Act (CJA) Program
Pro Bono Activities
- Represented Death Row Defendant on Capital Appeal to Cal. Supreme Court, sentence commuted to life imprisonment
University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- J.D. - 1986
- Law Review: Associate Editor, Iowa Law Review
- Moot Court - Case Editor (Executive Board)
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- B.S. - 1984
Past Employment Positions
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
- Ramsey County (St. Paul)
- Hennepin County (Minneapolis)
- King County (Seattle)
- Associate (Civil) Attorney, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, Los Angeles, California
- Airline Transport Pilot, Comair (Delta) Airlines
- Federal Flight Deck Officer, Department of Homeland Security
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2017 - 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis
- Master of the Bench, Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court
- Mark is a volunteer for the ALS Association and actively involved in the mission to find a cure for ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)
Recognized in the industry
"I could not have imagined getting through this difficult and uncertain time without the help of the Hammer Law Firm."
"You don't know how much of a blessing you are to us"
"Mark and Nicole are the best law firm partners ever."
"Mark and Nicole are the best at getting to the truth of the matter and dedicated to your clients"
- Vicki H.
"Mark Hammer is a decisive, direct, and conscientious attorney. I would definitely recommend him to others."
"Mark Hammer is a gentleman, exudes confidence and relieves stress with his truth"